sexta-feira, outubro 22, 2004

Before Sunset / Antes do Anoitecer

Listening / A ouvir: Tori Amos & Bjork - Wrapped around your finger (Live Police cover)

Yesterday I saw Before Sunset and, even though I couldn't quite remeber it's precessor, it touched me in a strange way. The story is a simple one: Jesse and Celine, who had a one-night affair nine years before and never met since even though they had arranged to do it, find each other and spend the afternoon together. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy blew me away with their amazing acting, both physical (the awkwardness of the firts kiss, the need of touching the other and the self-constraint not to do it, climaxing with the amazing scene of the two climbing the stairs to her apartment and growing silent and anxious with each step) and spoken (I even thought that they had improvised most of the film). On top of all this there's the dialogue... trying to find each other, to recognize in this older person before them the one they had known so many years ago, to find part of the magic of their previous encounter, they talk about everything I find around me on people about my age: the growing older, the commitments, the relationships one had and the loss of inocence, the loss of the ability of being able to surrender oneself without fears or consequences...

I’m still a bit younger than the characters but after having gone through a failed marriage, the attempts of trying to rebuild a love life after years in a stable relationship and the inevitable heartbreaks, I could somehow connect with this film to a point in a way that I could not with the previous one (I’m a sucker for romance but I’ve always been a bit cynic about it). Maybe there’s still hope...

---

Ontem vi o Antes do Anoitecer e, mesmo não me lembrando do filme que o precede, tocou-me de uma maneira estranha. A história é simples: Jesse e Celine, que tiveram uma relação de uma noite nove anos antes e nunca mais se encontraram mesmo tendo combinado fazê-lo, encontram-se e passam a tarde juntos. Ethan Hawke e Julie Delpy surpreederam-me com a sua representação, tanto física (o constragimento do primeiro beijo, a vontade de tocarem-se e o esforço para não o fazer, culminando com a cena fabulosa dos dois a subirem as escadas que levam ao apartamento dela e a ficarem mais calados e ansiosos com cada degrau) como verbal (cheguei a pensar que tinham improvisado maior parte do filme). E depois há o diálogo... tentado encontrar-se um ao outro, reconhecer na pessoa mais velha à sua frente a pessoa que conheceram tantos anos antes, encontrar parte da magia do seu encontro prévio, falam de tudo o que eu encontro à minha volta em pessoas com a minha idade: o ficar mais velho, os compromissos, as relações que se teve e a perda da inocência, a perda da capacidade de se entregar sem medos ou consequências...

Ainda sou mais novo que as personagens mas depois de ter passado por um casamento falhado, as tentativas de reconstruir uma vida amorosa depois de tantos anos numa relação estável e as inevitáveis desilusões, identifiquei-me com o filme de uma maneira que não consegui com o anterior (adoro romance mas sou um bocado cínico em relação a ele). Talvez ainda haja esperança...

Sem comentários: